Lemon Olive Oil Cake Recipe – Spanish Special
This delicious Spanish lemon olive oil cake makes the perfect snack. Bursting with flavor and moist as can be, it’s easy to make too!
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time50 min
- Total Time1 hr 5 min
Lemon Olive Oil Cake Ingredients :
- 1.5 cups cake flour (180 g) (all-purpose flour can be substituted)
- ¼ cup finely ground almonds (30 g) (you can pulse raw almonds in the food processor until a powder but not a paste, or buy almond meal or almond flour)
- ¼ teaspoon of salt (1 g)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (10 g)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 g)
- Zest from two lemons
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (60 ml)
- Scant 1 cup approx. 220ml of full fat unsweetened Greek yogurt
- ? cup Spanish extra virgin olive oil (160 ml) (I used a fragrant hojiblanca)
- Powdered sugar to top the cake
How to Make Lemon Olive Oil Cake
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and then grease and flour a 9 ½ inch (24 cm) cake pan.
In a medium sized bowl mix together the flour, ground almonds, salt and baking powder.
Massage the lemon zest into the sugar by rubbing it with your fingers, allowing the sugar to become infused with the zest’s flavor.
In a separate bowl, beat the sugar and eggs on medium high (I use a hand mixer) for about two minutes (the mixture should have doubled in size and lightened in color).
Now, whisk in the lemon juice and Greek yogurt on a low speed.
Finally, add the olive oil by slowly drizzling it in while mixing on low.
When combined, fold in the flour mixture by hand using a rubber spatula. Stop mixing as soon as everything is combined– you don’t want to over mix.
Pour the batter into the greased and floured cake pan and bake about 50 minutes in a preheated (375°F/190°C) oven (or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with only a few crumbs).
Take your cake out of the oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from the cake pan. Right before serving dust with powdered sugar.