Thai Cashew Chicken Stir Recipe – Thai Special
It’s easier than you think to make my version of this Thai restaurant classic at home… and it’s so much tastier than a takeaway! Bursting with colourful vegies, lightly crisped chicken and a glossy sauce, it’ll put a smile on anyone’s face.
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time15 min
- Total Time25 min
Thai Cashew Chicken Stir Ingredients :
- 400g (14 oz) chicken breast fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup corn flour (cornstarch)
- sea salt
- vegetable oil for deep frying, plus 1 tbsp extra
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 capsicums (bell peppers), deseeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 5 dried red chillies, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup sliced spring onion (scallions)2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp dark sweet soy sauce
- ½ tsp corn flour (cornstarch)
How to Make Thai Cashew Chicken Stir
To make the stir-fry sauce, whisk the ingredients together in a small bowl.
Fill a saucepan or wok to about ¼ capacity with the vegetable oil. Heat over high heat. The oil is hot enough at 165°C/325°F or when a wooden spoon dipped into the oil forms small little bubbles.
Season the chicken with salt and toss with the corn flour. Shake off the excess flour and carefully add half the chicken to the hot oil. Cook, flipping the pieces every so often, for 3-4 minutes or until the exterior is just ‘sealed’ but before the pieces turn golden. Transfer to a tray lined with paper to drain. Repeat with the remaining chicken and flour.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a clean wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onion and stir-fry for half a minute. Add the cashews and dried chillies and stir-fry for another half a minute or until the cashews just start to turn golden. Add the capsicums and stir-fry for another minute. Then add the chicken and the stir-fry sauce and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce is thick and glossy. Toss through the spring onions and serve.