Grilled Chicken Street Tacos – Mexican Special
These chicken street tacos are easy to make with minimal cleanup. Grilling both the chicken and tortillas gives these tacos a nice, subtle smokiness. I like to double up the tortillas to make them easier to eat.
- Prep Time20 min
- Cook Time15 min
- Perform Time1 hr 5 min
- Total Time1 hr 40 min
Grilled Chicken Street Tacos Recipe Ingredients :
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 24 street taco size corn tortillas (such as Mission® Street Taco Corn Tortillas)
- 1/3 cup minced white onion
- 1/3 cup minced cilantro
- Mexican hot sauce (such as Valentina®),(optional)
- 4 lime wedges
How to Make Grilled Chicken Street Tacos Recipe:
In a gallon-size resealable bag, place chicken, lime juice, vegetable oil, garlic, cumin, coriander and chili powder. Reseal the bag, and massage bag until chicken is evenly coated. Marinate for 1 to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil the grate.
Remove chicken from marinade and place on the hot grill. Discard marinade. Grill over direct heat until juices run clear, 6 to 8 minutes per side. An instant read thermometer inserted near the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Remove to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes. Chop chicken into small pieces and set aside, keeping it warm.
Fill a large bowl with ice water. Transfer eggs to the ice bath to stop the cooking process; let sit about 3 minutes. Drain eggs, carefully peel away the shells, and slice in half.
Place tortillas on the hot grill, stacked 2 tortillas thick, and heat for about 20 to 30 seconds; flip each stack and heat an additional 20 to 30 seconds. Divide the chicken mixture between the 12 stacks of tortillas. Top with onion and cilantro and drizzle with hot sauce, if desired. Serve with lime wedges.