Berry Tiramisu Cake Recipe – American, Italian Special
This is the most stunning berry tiramisu you’ll make because it’s an actual cake. It’s surprisingly simple to make and doesn’t require a crazy long list of ingredients.
- Prep Time25 min
- Cook Time1 hr 35 min
- Total Time2 hr
For the Sponge Cake
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- For Berry Tiramisu Cake Syrup, Fillings and Cream:
- 12 oz Driscoll’s raspberries, divided
- 6 Tbsp (3 oz) orange liqueur, divided
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, + 2 Tbsp for berry sauce
- 16 oz mascarpone cheese, refrigerated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, (36% milk fat), chilled
- 1 lb Driscoll’s strawberries, sliced, reserving 6 berries for the top
- 1 pint Driscoll’s blueberries, (2 cups ), divided
How to Make Berry Mascarpone
Bake the easy 4-ingredient sponge cake (click for written instructions). Once cakes are at room temp, use a serrated knife to cut in half for a total of 4 layers.
In a small bowl, combine 1/2 package raspberries, 1/4 cup water, 4 Tbsp orange liqueur, and 2 Tbsp sugar. Mash together with a fork and set aside.
Just before assembling your cake, make the cream: In a large bowl, use a spatula to fold together 16 oz mascarpone cheese and 2 Tbsp orange liqueur until well incorporated.
In a second large mixing bowl, beat with a mixer 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, 1/3 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla just until fluffy with soft peaks. Use a spatula to fold half of the whipped cream into mascarpone to lighten it then fold in remaining cream and blend until fully incorporated.
How to Assemble Berry Tiramisu Cake
Place your first cake layer on a serving platter and use a spoon to spread 1/4 of your raspberry syrup (no need for perfection). Top with 1/4 of your cream and a generous layer of sliced strawberries and whole blueberries. Repeat with remaining layers and cover the top with remaining whole strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
- Mascarpone stabilizes/stiffens soft whipped cream so don’t over-beat or it will become grainy when blended with mascarpone.
- If you push the cream and berries just slightly past the cake’s edges, it will look prettier when stacked. Cake can be served right away, but if you refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, it will be a little easier to slice.