Beef and Broccoli is an easy, 1-pan, 30-minute meal that is loaded with fresh broccoli, tender nutrition-packed beef, and the best stir fry sauce. We love this over steamy white rice.
Serves: 4 people
Prep Time: 17 minutes
Cook Time: 13 minutes
1 lb flank steak, very thinly sliced into bite-sized strips
2 Tbsp olive oil , (or vegetable oil), divided
1 lb broccoli, (cut into 6 cups of florets)
2 tsp sesame seeds, optional garnish
Stir Fry Sauce Ingredients:
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated (loosely packed)
2 tsp garlic, grated (from 3 cloves)
1/2 cup hot water
6 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce, (or GF Tamari)
3 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp corn starch
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp sesame oil
How to Make Beef and Broccoli Sauce (Asian)
1. Prep: Start cooking white rice first so it’s ready when the stir fry is done. Cover and freeze steak 30 minutes for easier slicing.
2. Combine all stir fry sauce ingredients in a bowl, stir well to dissolve the sugar, and set aside.
3. Place a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp oil. Add broccoli florets and sauté 4-5 minutes, partially covered with lid, stirring or tossing several times until broccoli is bright green and crisp-tender then remove from pan. Tip: If you prefer softer broccoli, add 2 Tbsp water before covering with the lid and it will steam cook the broccoli.
4. Increase heat to high heat and add 1 Tbsp oil. Add beef in a single layer and sauté 2 minutes per side or just until cooked through. Quickly pull out a piece to test for doneness.
5. Add the sauce, reduce heat to medium/low and simmer 3-4 minutes. It will thicken. Add broccoli and stir to combine. Stir in 1-2 Tbsp water to thin the sauce if desired. Serve over white rice.